Here are some basic tips for surviving discussions on sensitive topics, such as politics.
- Avoid name calling. It just makes you look like a big baby. Ad hominem.
- Don’t assume you know a person’s views based on a few words you see on your screen.
- Words on a screen are void of facial expression, tone and body language – so try not to assign emotion to things you read. You’ll probably be wrong or exaggerated in what you assign. I know that I’ve been horribly wrong, reading too much into things.
- Carefully choose your words when discussing hot topics.
- Lighten up – damn it.
- Admit that most people are not stupid just because they don’t share your opinion. Many people hold opinions for valid, well though out reasons.
- Don’t take differing view points so personal.