With 2016 elections approaching and the tragedy in France, I’ve seen a lot of debate on social media. Or at least have seen a lot of what appears to resemble debate, but is not truly debate.
First, what is debate? It is basically argument, sometimes formal, most of the time about controversial subjects. Formal debate is heavily based on logic and evidence. This brings to mind argument fallacies. Fallacies are incorrect arguments in logic and rhetoric which undermines an argument’s logical validity or more generally an argument’s logical soundness.
One of the most common fallacies I see is “argumentum ad hominem” – the evasion of the actual topic by directing an attack at your opponent. Examples include
– Republicans calling democrats cry babies.
– Democrats calling republicans greedy piles of shit.
– Pro refugee location individuals calling the other side fear mongers, un Christian, un caring, etc.
– Anti refugee relocation individuals calling the other side naive, Muslim lovers, etc.
– And all of the above groups mocking each other.
Please stop the madness!