Instant communication has many benefits, but also has serious draw backs. What happens when two people start dating and one has embraced the instant communication / social media culture and the other has not?
I’m the one who has embraced the instant and he has only mildly embraced it. Due to that, these are the thoughts that run through my head:
- Hmmm, why didn’t he respond to my text?
- Does he have a headache?
- Is he busy?
- Did I text him one too many times?
- Am I coming off as being needy?
- Overly communicative too soon?
- Would he tell me if he felt any of the above were true, or just dump me?
- OMG – he texted me. Do I reply right now?
- How long should I wait to reply?
- What if he’s used to me replying relatively quickly and I wait for awhile, what would happen?
Why do I feel like I’m playing a game to which I don’t know the rules?